Weed Abatement Program

Abatement Requirements and Instructions

The City of Menifee coordinates an annual Weed Abatement program throughout the City.  Each year Weed Abatement Notices are mailed to property owners of vacant parcels that have had recurring problems or those properties where a problem is anticipated during the Fire season. 

The Notice and Order to Abate lists the basic requirements of the City’s Weed Abatement Ordinance, and lists a date by which properties must be brought into compliance.  After the compliance date, field inspections of vacant parcels are performed by City personnel.

Unimproved parcels containing hazardous or flammable vegetation, including tumbleweeds, as defined in Riverside County Ordinance 695 as adopted by the City of Menifee upon incorporation shall be removed as indicated on the Notice and Order to Abate:

"The requirements of this NOTICE AND ORDER TO ABATE shall be satisfied by disking, mowing, brush-cutting, and/or handwork and removal of cut material of the dangerous vegetation as indicated below:
  • The parcel (including easements as required) shall have weeds cut and maintained as noted below AND free of junk or debris at all times.
  • You shall keep clear a 100-foot wide strip where you are adjacent to a parcel with a structure.
  • You shall keep clear a 100-foot wide strip where you are adjacent to any roadway."
If you receive a Notice and Order to Abate and if there is a permitted house on your property or if you are not the legal owner of the property, please disregard the Notice.

If you have abated the fire hazard within 30 days after receiving the Notice and Order to Abate, no further action is required. 

If you receive a Notice and Order to Abate and you need further assistance, please call 951-246-6214.  A member of the Code Enforcement Department will be in contact with you assist you. 

​Forms and Reference Information
Appeals Information

Instructions needed to submit a written appeal are included in the "Notice and Order to Abate".

The order must be appealed in writing, within twenty (20) calendar days of the post mark on the Notice and Order to Abate.  Please send written appeal requests to the following address:

CODE ENFORCEMENT - Weed Abatement Appeal
29714 Haun Road
Menifee, CA 92586

Please Note: Appeal requests will not be accepted over the phone.

Endangered or Protected Species

For those parcels which contain a documented or identified endangered or protected species which limit or prohibit the required abatement of a parcel, the property owner must notify the City of Menifee Code Enforcement Department, in writing, prior to the compliance date each year; all supporting documentation must also be provided by the property owner. 

Frequently Asked Questions

“What do I do if I am not the owner of the property listed on the Notice?”

If you received an Initial/Final Notice and you do not own the property listed, please contact the Menifee Code Enforcement Division at 951-672-6777.  Any new owner information is appreciated.  Property owner information is provided to the City by the Riverside County Assessor’s Office and notices are sent to the Owner of Record listed on the last county assessment roll.  To change or verify property owner information, contact the Riverside County Assessor’s Office at 951-955-6200.

“My parcel is too wet to cut, and my tractor gets stuck in the mud.  What can I do?”

Although it may be a preferred method by some property owners, the use of a tractor is not the only method available to abate a parcel.  Even when a tractor is used, it often cannot be used to abate the entire parcel (handwork is needed around the perimeter of the parcel in addition to the tractor work).  If a parcel is too wet for a tractor to operate, it is still the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the parcel; perhaps a tractor is not the most appropriate tool to use.  As an example, there are many parcels in the City that are too steep to allow the use of a tractor, but the property owners still have the responsibility to maintain their parcels, and most of them do maintain their parcels.

“I cut my weeds before the deadline and my property is clean, so why did I still receive a Notice?”

Property owners must maintain their property throughout the year.  If a property is cut prior to the deadline, and the growth returns prior to an inspection, then the property can be found in violation.  Property owners should inspect their properties on a regular basis to check for regrowth, or any new problems, such as dead trees, or items dumped on the property without permission.

“I cleared my property earlier in the year, but it rained and grew back.  Do I have to clean the property again?”

Yes.  In the City of Menifee, weed abatement is not always a one-time event.  A second disc or mowing may be necessary; it is the property owner’s responsibility to maintain abatement throughout the Fire Season (Typicaly from April through November).    

“I want to abate the weeds on my property, but who can I hire for this type of work?”

The Riverside County Fire Department maintains a listing of contractors in the area who perform various types of abatement work.  Although the Fire Department cannot specify or recommend any particular contractor, this list is made available to the public as a resource. 

“When will my property be inspected?”

The first notices were mailed to property owners at the beginning of April.  Inspections for compliance begin June 1; there is no pre-set schedule for the inspection of any particular parcel. 

“I have always abated my property as I have done since before the City was incorporated.  Why am I receiving Notices of Violation?”

The City of Menifee has abatement requirements that are different from the previously enforced County standard. 

“I never received a Notice to clear the weeds on my property; can I still be fined and penalized?”

Yes.  Please keep in mind that it is your responsibility as the property owner to maintain your property at all times.  Notices issued during the annual Weed Abatement Program serve as courtesy Notices. Per Riverside County Ordinance No. 695, “The failure of any person in possession or owner of the property to receive such notice shall not affect the validity of these proceedings. 

“There is debris and garbage on my property; and I didn't put it there – why am I responsible?”

If you are the property owner, then you are exclusively responsible for maintaining the condition of that property.

“How much will it cost to have the City clear my property?”

The City’s cost to clear a parcel will be extremely high compared to what the cost would be by hiring a private contractor.  The price for City abatements are set by a contract agreement.

“How do I cut vegetation on hillsides when it exists to prevent erosion?”

Vegetation on hillsides or steep slopes will normally require hand work.  Use any cutting or trimming method which leaves the root structure intact.

“Can I burn cut vegetation?”

No.  Open burning for fire clearance is not allowed by the Air Quality Management District or this agency.